Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Upcoming Show of Recent Works

On Saturday, April 5 my brother Jeff and I are having a small show at The Good Book in Rushville, Illinois. This has been a show he and I have been working on for about a year. Although we are both artists, we are certainly polar opposites in our styles of art work. Most of the work Jeff creates has a bit of an Abstract Expressionist feel and mine is more along the lines of illustration with a graphic style of heavy outlines.

Our work does have a few similarities. Both of us create work that focuses on our Christian faith. And hopefully both of our works will entice the curious viewer to ask questions. Not only questions about the art work itself, but about themselves personally.

One thing I have been struggling with is the poster for the show. Currently the poster makes no reference to Christianity. It is somewhat of a push-pull relationship with this issue. Although I create Christian themed art I don't want to be placed in the Christan Artist box. I don't want to alienate people either. Why you may ask? Well.....my work is not just intended for the Christian audience. If it were than I feel I would be doing a disservice to the art I am creating. The work I create (which I feel is totally guided by God) is meant to challenge the Christian and seeker.

Chalk this one up in the category of "yet to be determined".

No comments: