Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Makes me slow down a bit...

"At the same time, my work is about an internal war with my perception of adulthood. I am not at ease with the idea that financial stability should be predicated upon the abandonment of one’s personal ambitions. We’re told to “grow up” by teachers, cops, businessmen, and corrupt politicians. We’ve been surrounded with instructions on how to live our lives, most of which seem to be designed to hold us in place, preventing us from engaging in any serious analysis of current social and political systems. They’ve promised us security at the expense of autonomy. For this, I am expressing my early disenchantment with the life we’re supposed to live, as well as the frustration that comes with my inability to assimilate".

-Justin Santora, visual artist


No comments: